Thursday, August 27, 2015

What's in a name?

Apparently it's traditional to name your Airstream.  I guess that harkens back to Airstream's roots in the aircraft industry.  Think of all the WWII airplanes with names painted on their sides.

Hmm...  what's a good name for an old trailer?

The Silver Bullet?  Nah, everybody has thought of that.  Silver Streak?  Nah, same.

Hmm... it's harder than I thought.

Vintage Airstreams, especially the smaller ones, remind me of turtles.  The larger ones look like railroad cars to me.  A Safari is small so I narrowed my thoughts to turtle names.

The other thing about turtles is they bring their homes wherever they go... so that also fits nicely with a travel trailer.  Don't you think?

Turtles are slow but I like to think that means that turtles are patient.   Patience is required for travel trailers too, as when towing it's important to not exceed 65 MPH.  Like a turtle, you need to be patient and stay in the slow lane.  Nice and easy gets the job done.

It didn't take me long to settle on a name from there.  I chose Cecil, from Bug Bunny's "the Tortoise and the Hare".  Remember this cartoon?



Yeah, Cecil is a perfect name.  I had a bumper sticker made and attached it to my spare tire cover.  I've got another one for next to the door.

Meet Cecil, the 1961 Airstream Safari.


No comments:

Post a Comment