Thursday, September 3, 2015

Let There Be Light

One of the more challenging projects I've had to date on this Safari has been lighting the rear.

Originally it would have had three similar fixtures in the back, two over the bunks and one over the bathroom sink.  The fixtures would have had one 12V bulb and one 110V bulb.  Unfortunately they have been lost to time.

The PO had installed little LED pucks over the bunks and the rear bath was completely unlit.  The LED pucks had a red LED that was constantly on - I guess like a night light but the pucks would eventually drain the trailer battery because there was no way to turn them off without disconnecting them.  So they had to go.


It seems all but impossible to locate new light fixtures that are dual voltage.  The 110 is nice for when you're connected to shore power and the 12V is great for boon docking.

I happened upon a set of three fixtures from a Airstream Globetrotter from the later 1960's.  I thought they might work great but the fixture was a bit too big for the bathroom location.  I was able to use them over the bunks though.

For the bathroom, I found a nice LED under cabinet light that was perfectly sized for the small space in the bath.  It won't run on 12V but that's life I guess.  I can put a little lantern back there for boon docking.

I was able to get 10 watt LED lights in both 12V and 120V for the other fixtures and they're in a warmer color range too - so they give off very similar light. 

When both voltages are turned on, the rear of the trailer is very pleasantly lit.  In fact, once the beds are made up with sheets, blankets and pillows, I think it will be very comfortable bath there at night.


The front of the trailer has two dual voltage sconces on the walls over the dinette and a dual voltage ceiling fixture.  With all fixtures lit up it's actually very pleasantly illuminated inside.  Way more comfortable than the Boy Scout tents I'm used to camping in.


We're now ready for our maiden voyage and shakedown cruise.  It's been a three month journey to get to this point but as of now... All systems are go!

No comments:

Post a Comment